Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tokyo Marathon 2011 Day 2 / 5

Woke up at around 8 plus.

I was supposed to check out my bed by 1100Hr and shift my stuff to Azhar and GY's room today. So before I stepped out of the hostel I made sure my bags were packed. Its still early so I would roam around the place first and do the shifting just before 1100Hr.

When I got down to the lobby, the guy at the counter told me I need not shift into Azhar and GY's room as there had been a cancellation. So tonight I can have a proper bed (I was supposed to sleep on the floor if I were to bunk in with Azhar and GY). And also I can use that bed until I leave.

Great! I thought to myself.

The weather was a little cooler than yesterday. Not so cold. Just nice for a run.


Good morning Sakura.


I got back to the convenience store we went to last night. I was looking around at their rice food. Was contemplating what can I have for breakfast today and for race day tomorrow. But I wanted to roam around more to see what's available so I did not buy anything.

I wondered into a small alley and saw this elderly barbecuing some stuff and it smells very nice.




I got in closer and saw that it was BBQ eel. Honestly, besides the good smell of the BBQ, it was also the heat that made me moved in closer. The weather was getting cold.


I got a stick for myself. Nice and hot. Fresh from the pit.

As I slowly walked around, I heard a voice called out: "Jacky!"

It was Azhar! He had woken up early too and was also wondering around.

He showed me around the area where he and GY and went over the past couple of days. We got to this shop across the street that sells donuts.




There was so many variety. In the end, I just chose a plain donut with sugar on it. Why? There were so many fanciful donuts around. Its easy to make them taste good by just adding more toppings onto it. However, I felt that only those with skills would be able to make a plain donut taste good. It was not bad. Quite fluffy. Not that sweet either.


Making our way back to the hostel.

We stopped by at the bento shop GY and I saw last night and bought our breakfast. We even bought for GY and Florence.


Breakfast.



Our plan for the day was to go recce the race start at Shinjuku. To find out how much time to get there and how to make our way there. WIth 35,000 participants, the start line would surely be damn crowded. So we would need to get there early do ensure we have time for bag deposit, warm up, toilet break etc. As the start and finish area were at different places, we also need to deposit our bags onto the baggage trucks. We did not want to miss the trucks.

Before going to Shinjuku, we first went to the Daiso near our hostel to see if there was anything interesting worth buying.


Small sized coke.


Bikes being parked outside Daiso. The wonderful thing is that people do not need to lock their bikes before they step off. Everybody just parked their bike and walked off to do their stuff.




Walking to Asakusa station.


Here we are. Shinjuku station.


Times Square.

Saw the rest of yesterday's gang at Tokyo Hands inside Times Square. I tried to look for a Iphone 4 cover as I was preparing to get one soon. But it was so expensive! SGD$20+ for one cover!

Also met Reuben here. Saw his name a lot of times in Fabebook. Now I finally meet him in person.

We split after we finished with our shopping. Did not get anything.

Azhar, GY, Florence and I decided to go for some food before searching for the start line.


At Mac.


Had some snacks after Mac. This was recommended by Roonz.

As I slowly ate the jelly, we began finding our way to the start line.


Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office Building 1.






The start line was near Tachomae station.

I went up the bridge to see the start line.










There were other runners who were there to recce the start line.


We headed back to Times Square to find the rest for lunch.


We saw this at the ground floor. 100 household tips. From how to change a light bulb to how to brush your teeth.

We took the Japan Railway line this time, changing to the Metro line at Ueno. GY said if we did not take the JR line, we would not have counted as been to Tokyo.

Azhar and GY went to the bento shop to buy dinner. I went to the same restaurant last night for dinner. I need the extra rice.


Same dinner as the night before.


This was the nice chef that helped prepared the dinner. He knew I would be running tomorrow so he asked for my BIB number. He said he would check my timing live on his phone. Hahaha .. :)


On the way back to the hostel there was this old man selling baked potato at the back of his car. On such a cold night, a hot potato would be nice.


My new room and the people sharing the room with me.


The race gear for tomorrow.

Everything's set to go. Everything's ready. Cant wait for tomorrow to come.

For now, I need to get as much rest as I can.

Goodnight, folks.

Tomorrow, it will be Tokyo Marathon 2011!!!

No comments: