Sunday, December 26, 2010

Chiang Mai Marathon 2010 Day 3/3



The race starts at 0500Hr. We walked over to the start point at 0400Hr. Suki and Tso chose to do a slow run instead. It was a very cold morning.



At the Start Line.



The bag deposit area.




Queuing up for the toilet.


Chatting before the race.


Marking our BIBs to ensure we had started from the Start Line.





Suki was pacing me to help me achieve sub4 again. Her advise was to stick to 5.30 pace throughout the race. Only start to push when we feel its still ok at the last 5km.

The pace was good. It was not difficult to maintain at 5.30 pace in such a cooling weather. We quickly got out of the town area into the expressways. I was sticking closely to Suki all along. She was really good. I had to keep looking at my garmin to check that I am still at 5.30 pace but she did not even look at her watch and was able to maintain at 5.30. Think this comes with experience.

While we were at the first U turn point at around 15.5km, Suki suddenly picked up her pace to overtake 2 girls running in front. I knew that pace was too fast for me so I did not follow up. It was close to 5.00 pace. After that, she seem to get faster and faster and the gap between us widened. Until to a point I could not see her in front anymore.

The temperature was also getting colder. There was mist coming out from my mouth when I exhale. I had never ran in such a cold weather before. Both my palms had turned numb. When I touched my face, I palms felt so cold.

I met Suki at the last U turn at 28km when she was going in the opposite direction.

"Wai! Jacky! Sub 4 ah", she shouted.

I waved back at her. In my heart, I was uncertain if I could still maintain after 30km. In all my races, that point was the start whereby my body will slow down and I could not push anymore.

The last 10km was torturous. Just keep imagining that I am digging and digging deeper and deeper into myself. To find that source of latent energy hidden somewhere deep inside me. I knew its there. But I just have not found it yet. So I knew I must keep "digging" deeper.

At the 37km, we did a right turn and left the expressway. We are now heading towards the town. We reached the town at 39km.

"Just keep running!", I told myself.

By this time, the town had already waken up. There were a lot of cars on the road and people around were looking curiously at us. Luckily, there were still police around to help direct the traffic.



Gun Time: 3:56:00






Aileen won 5th for her category.




Suki won 3th in her category.



We returned to the hotel to wash up after the prize presentation.


We had a celebration at a restaurant near the hotel.

After the lunch, Suki, Tso, Joanne and me went for foot massage. The rest went back to the hotel to rest.

I had rush back to pack my things. My flight home was at 1755Hr.






Sun set in the plane.


Dinner was spicy fish with rice.


Sun set from in the air.



This was the last race for 2010. A very fun and fulfilling trip too. Learnt a lot from the HK runners.

No comments: