Friday, December 24, 2010

Chiang Mai Marathon 2010 Day 1/3

This is the last race trip for 2010. Flying over to Chiang Mai with Aileen, Vincent, Ryan, Shuqin and Joanne.


This time we were taking SilkAir as there were no budget airlines flying to Chiang Mai.






Its a long time since I watched a safety demo not done by air stewardesses.


The Changi Exhibition Center.


Studying the race route with the drinks provided on flight.


I always like the view out of the plane, when the plane was cruising above the clouds.

I thought of my good friend. Heaven played a big big joke on her. She was diagnosed with nose cancer .. on her birthday. Stage 3.

She was receiving RT and chemo treatment now. I stayed at her place the night before. She just gone through a chemo session in the day time. The treatments were really suffering for her. Chemo was the worst. She was already very skinny. The treatments made her much thinner.

Last night, I sat at her bedside while she went to sleep. She was complaining to me about her treatments. About the doctor being fierce to her for losing so much weight. I just listened. I could only listen. I wish I could do more but there was nothing I could do. Her voice sounded so weak. Her cheeks were swollen from the RT. She fell asleep in a short while. I moved to sit on the ground beside her. Wishing to stay by her side a while more to ensure she had fall asleep. I realised my eyes were wet. Tears. I quickly wiped them dry. But the tears kept coming. I kept wiping my eyes while sitting there. Not wishing to wake her up. After a while when I was sure that she was asleep, I went to sleep in the guest room.

Now, sitting in the plane, my eyes were wet again. I quickly used my hands to wipe them off. I did not want people to see that I am crying in the plane.

"My dear friend, you must be strong ok. 你一定会好起来的. 一定要撑下去."


I had never eaten a flight meal ever since my backpacking trip to Vietnam in May 2007. The menu was turkey, egg and hash brown.


The turkey was hidden underneath.


We finally arrived.


We lived at Chiang Mai Thai House.


They even had a pool.


Our room.




Tha Phae Gate.

Race expo was at Hotel M just beside Tha Phae Gate.


This was it. It looks very much like a family style organised race though.






The many many running tee for tomorrow.





After collecting our race kit, we went to the 3 Kings Monument to recce the race start.


3 Kings Monument.



We went back to the hotel and waited for dinner. Suki, Tso and me requested for massage in our rooms. Aileen rested in the room as she was sick. The others went to play in the pool.




Tomorrow's gear.


Gifts from Suki.

We had a sumptuous dinner at the hotel restaurant beside the pool.


Christmas gift exchange.


The hotel staff helped us in the lucky draw. He was a damn funny guy.



After the dinner, we went to tour around the town. There was a night market nearby. Did not buy anything from there.

Tomorrow was Christmas. Sent SMS to my friends in Singapore wishing them Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: