Saturday, January 15, 2011

China Coast Marathon 2011 Day 1 / 3

Okay, great. I overslept. Was supposed to wake up at 0400Hr and reach the airport at 0500Hr. In the end, I only woke up at 0510Hr. Quickly put on my clothes, took a quick glance that I had not left anything behind, and I was out of the house in 20 mins.

The flight was at 0640Hr. I was so worried the check in counter would be closed when I reached the airport. I looked through the flight itinerary while the taxi was rushing to the airport. It says that the check in counter would be closed 40 mins prior to the plane taking off. Phew .. felt a slight sense of relief .. but I was still a little worried. I reached the airport at 0540Hr. When I ran over to the check in lane, I saw that there was still a queue. Ok .. finally I was able to relax. However, the experience of almost missing the flight was not very fun. Think this incident would make me always ensure I wake up early.


Inside the gate.



We touched down at HK at around 1030Hr. The temperature was 13 degree C.


Promised Kent to help him bring over some stuff. Also bought pandan cake and tomyam instant noodles for Suki, which I later would realise they actually wanted laksa instant noodles. Hahaha .. :)


Inside the Airport Express Line.


Did not remember seeing this when I was here last year February for SCHKM.




Inside the MTR going to Causeway Bay.


My room. They upgraded me to a Business Class room.

I had lunch at a restaurant a short walk away from the hotel. After lunch, I went to deliver Kent's stuff to his shop.






Also bought a new pair of Oakley, a tube of electrolyte tablets and a top from him.


Got this from Kent too.

I had to rush back to the hotel. Suki and Tso said they would meet at me 1600Hr and bring me to recce the place for boarding the shuttle bus tomorrow morning.


The venue was near Exit K of Central MTR.




The pick up point was at City Hall.


They suggested to bring me to Tsim Sha Tsui for dinner and wanted to bring me across on the ferry, which I had never sat before to cross to TST.


Star Ferry.


My airport express tourist pass could not be used for the ferry. So I had to purchase a ticket.


The ticket. A token in fact.


This is the ferry. Reminds me of the ferry we took to Sentosa when we were small.


The tall building on the left is the International Commerce Center / Ritz - Carlton Hong Kong.


Its very blur in this photo but we could actually see Stonecutters Bridge in the far left. Those running SCHKM will run through it.




Behind me is the Tsim Sha Tsui Clock Tower. On my right is the Hong Kong Cultural Center.


The Peninsula. They told me in this hotel all the hotel vehicles are Rolls Royce .. wow .. :)


Had dinner here. A char siew and chicken platter. Had 3 bowls of rice too. Listened to Suki and Tso's advice to eat more rice for the race.


The Start Point of SCHKM. At this traffic light.


Suki and Tso brought me to visit some of the other HK runners at a wedding. I had met some of them the year before when I came to run SCHKM but I had forgotten their names.

It was good that I went to visit them. Some of them had ran China Coast before and offered me valuable advices. They told me to run as a comfortable pace.

"千万不要快. (Do not be fast.)" One of them told me. This helped me to finish the race.



I didn't stay for long as I had to go back to the hotel to prepare my stuff for the race tomorrow. Left shortly when I finished the red wine.


The gear for the race.

The warm packs were from Suki. She told me I must bring it along for the race as it would be very cold. Even colder than today.
The Dextro Energy (得力素) was from Tso.
The disposable poncho was from Ailing.
The arm warmers and gloves were bought online with help from Sandy.

Sleeping time.

No comments: