Saturday, November 21, 2009

Penang Trip Day 1 / 3: Penang Bridge International Marathon 2009 Race Expo



The day finally arrived! Ha .. Going to Penang for Penang Bridge International Marathon. My first overseas full marathon.

Packing my stuff was relatively easy since it was only a 3D2N trip. Essentially it was only a running trip. Or rather, a Run & Recreational (R&R) trip.

Need to say thank you to a friend who partially provided me with the energy gels I needed for the run. Ha .. :)



Agreed to meet at the T1 check-in row at 0930Hr.













After we checked in, we had a small breakfast at the cafeteria above. Only ate a little. Saving the space in the stomach for food after we landed in Penang. Hahaha ..


Was worried the camera will drop from the vibrating hand rail of the travellator.


Pre - race leg massage.






Inside Gate D47.


平时不烧香,临时抱佛脚. Hugging the Buddha's legs at the last minute.


AirAsia flight AK5802.


Inside the aerobridge.




Wing view. Great seat eh!


The kids sitting behind me were really noisy.


Penang International Airport.






Waiting for taxi to bring us to QueensBay Mall.


Drizzling when we arrive at QueensBay Mall.
















Fast, consistent, steady. (Run) Like (this in) a marathon.






The event running top. Its a size L but yet its still quite small for me. Have to exchange for a XL.

From QueensBay Mall, we were able to see the whole span of the Penang Bridge stretching from Penang to mainland. Strangely, I am feeling a sense of nervousness looking at it. Just around 12 hours later we will be pounding our foot on the bridge. Nervous about how was it going to be. Will I be able to go through the whole run in good form? Will it be windy and cold on the bridge? Will my right knee give me problem? The weather forecast for the weekend was thunderstorm; will it rain during the run? There were lots of questions and uncertainties popping out in my mind.

We tried to search for the starting line but we could not seem to find it. We were told it would be near a police post at the road. There were some workers trying to erect some form of stage beside the police post. I asked the supervisor and he replied they were building the stage for the photographers and the starting line. In my mind I was thinking: “Shouldn’t such things be completed by this time? It was only 12 hours to start time.”

After collecting our stuff, we had lunch at Secret Recipe inside QueensBay Mall. After which we took a cab to go to our hotel. Vistana Hotel.


Bedroom.


Dining room.


Kitchen.


Living room.





We rested till around 1700Hr before going out for dinner. Walked to a nearby shopping center and there were some coffee shops around. Ordered nasi ayam. Told the lady I dont want chilli. Now is not a good time to eat chilli. The rice was hard. The chicken was also hard. Nevertheless, I told myself to finish it. Its all for tomorrow. After the run tomorrow, I can eat all the unhealthy food I wanted. :)

Noticed their servings are generally smaller than those we have in Singapore. Maybe they have a smaller appetite?

Bought some mineral water back to the hotel. Once we reached the hotel, I started to prepare the stuff for tomorrow.



Went to bed at around 1900Hr. Our race was at 0230Hr. We were supposed to report to the starting line at 0130Hr. So we agreed to meet outside our rooms at 0100Hr before flagging a cab down. Taking into account for all the preparation time, this means I have to wake up at midnight.

It took only a short while to fall asleep. But the sleep did not last long and I woke up at 2030Hr. Not used to sleeping at this time of the day. Following that, I tossed and turned on the bed. Keep telling myself to try to sleep and rest more but I just cant fall asleep.

The time ticked by on my watch. Checked the time and it was 2100Hr. "Shit. Only left 3 hrs to sleep and I still cant sleep," I said to myself in my mind. A while later, it was 2120Hr, 2145Hr, 2200Hr, 2215Hr. It was only around 2230 that I managed to sleep again.

I slept soundly. When I heard the alarm on my handphone, I knew it was time to wake up.

Its now midnight.

No comments: